Some of you may know that we have an insatiable sweet tooth and that the mere thought of a tasty treat sends us into a tailspin of desire. We love any and everything rich and indulgent, but every once in a while we get a craving for a slimmed down, healthier dessert. The great thing about these chocolate bran muffins is that they’re so versatile–they’re perfect for breakfast, lunch or dessert, and they’re way lighter than your typical sweet!
These babies are a breeze to make (you probably have most of the ingredients already) and customize, so if you’ve got a hankering for dried cranberries or some other dried fruit, by all means, throw them in. You can make these and freeze them ahead of time, so you’ve got a delicious, healthy snack waiting for you whenever hunger strikes, and they’re also perfect for gifting to people; let them know these are healthy so they don’t feel guilty for devouring them! Either way, these muffins hit the spot .make sure you grab one before they’re all gone!
Chocolate Bran Muffin
Yields 1 dozen regular; 1/2 dozen jumbo muffins
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (or natural sweetener), packed
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- mini dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine oat bran, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the milk, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking continuously, until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour batter into the muffin tin, place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Optional: sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the muffins before baking.
- Remove pan from oven let cool for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Good Things By David