If there is one side dish that goes with just about any meal it’s potatoes. The crumbly, buttery texture gets us every time. And, one of the most perfect ingredients to go with potatoes is garlic. Combine the two in a skillet with a bit of cheese, and you’ve got the recipe for a memorable meal.
Our garlic skillet potatoes are sliced thinly, so you’ll want to use a mandoline for this recipe or else make sure your spuds are sliced to 1/4″ thickness by hand.
The potato slices are placed into a pan greased with olive oil, and you can create whatever kind of pattern you like here. You can make a spiral, but how you start (outside versus inside) will determine what kind of pattern your potato slices make in the skillet. You could even make concentric circles if you wanted.
This recipe doesn’t call for many ingredients, proving that you can create show-stopping dishes with what’s in the cupboard. To flavor the potatoes, you’ll use olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and the magic ingredient: parmesan cheese.
The cheese creates a lovely, crusty top that is brimming with flavor. The parmesan is added during the last few minutes of baking, at which point you’ll need to use the broiler so the top gets that golden, crunchy layer.
These garlic skillet potatoes are a very versatile dish. You could make them for any meal of the day as they pair with just about anything- from an omelet to a roast to fried chicken. The taste of these potatoes is wonderful, but of course if your family really loves garlic you could always add a couple more cloves for a more intense flavor.
We love both the flavor and the presentation of this dish- it’s got a certain charm despite being fairly simple to make. And, it really impresses at the table. This is one recipe that will never let you down!
Garlic Skillet Potatoes
15m prep time
55m cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Spread olive oil over a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Pour in half the garlic and spread evenly over bottom of skillet.
- Arrange potato slices in a spiral and top with remaining garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter cubes.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. Then remove cover and bake for 25 more minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and bake under broiler for about 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown and crisp. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Dads Cook Dinner.