Summer is a bountiful season, and these crispy garden fritters are the perfect way to celebrate that bounty. From fresh tomatoes to summer squash, there is so much veggie goodness during the season it can be hard to keep up.
Two of our favorite summer stars are sweet corn and zucchini (which is perhaps the most prolific of all) and these little fritter cakes showcase their best qualities oh so well.
While the outside is crispy and crunchy, the shredded zucchini keeps the inside of this fritter moist and chewy. Whole kernels of fresh corn give each bite a sweet pop of juiciness.
We love to serve them with a little dollop of cool sour cream, and maybe even a little hot sauce. They’re so delicious and don’t take long to make at all. You just mix up the ingredients in one bowl and then pan fry the little cakes in a bit of oil until each side is browned and crispy. Easy as can be! And tasty too.
So go on and give these a try. They pack in a hearty serving of healthy veggies and a little pan fryin’ never hurt anyone. If you’ve got corn and zucchini coming out your ears, they’re the perfect solution… but if you don’t, you might want to go scrounge some up just so you can make these!
Corn and Zucchini Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 ears sweet yellow corn, shucked and kernels removed
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Oil for shallow-frying
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Gradually add flour, mixing until combined. Add corn, zucchini, salt, and pepper and stir until well incorporated.
- Add enough oil to cover the bottom of a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet, and heat over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, spoon 3 fritters into pan (use about 1/4 cup of mixture per fritter) and cook 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and firm in the center.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Garnish with fresh parsley, if using, and serve. Enjoy!
Adapted from Dash of Savory.