Traditional cupcakes are so fun and yummy–we love them–but it’s nice to find a dessert that switches things up a little bit and is a slightly lighter alternative to the original (we’re looking at you, frosting). These cheesecake cupcakes are a super playful alternative to the traditional frosted cupcake, but they’re still the perfectly balanced treat that tastes amazing without being overly sweet!
When looking at the ingredients, you might think this dessert seems like it’s missing a few things .. That’s because it’s cream cheese based and doesn’t require tons of flour or sugar, and we’re able to omit the tale-as-old-as-time struggle between figuring out the baking soda versus baking powder situation. The cupcakes are great to bite into because the oreo cookie at the bottom provides a tasty surprise for the eaters, and perfect to make ahead of time because the flavor just keeps building and getting better as it rests! No more frantic baking right before the party–hurray!
Cookies & Cream Surprise Cupcakes
Yields 20 cupcakes
- 28 oreo cookies; 20 whole, the rest coarsely chopped
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line 2 muffin tins with 20 cupcake liners.
- Place 1 whole oreo cookie in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the sugar, then the eggs, one at a time, waiting for each to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Then beat in the heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt. Don’t overmix.
- Gently fold in the chopped oreo cookies.
- Pour batter into each cupcake mould, filling almost to the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until cupcake is just set.
- Remove and let cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, as flavor will continue to develop overnight.
- Serve right side up or upside down!
Recipe adapted from Handle The Heat