We know you’ve heard about our sweet tooth since it’s been pretty active these days, but we have another obsession that’s just as powerful as our need for treats… cheese.
We’re not picky when it comes to different types, but we’ve made these fried morsels twice in the last week and wanted to shout from the rooftops how much we love them! Whether you buy little bocconcini balls of mozzarella or a giant block that you cut into squares, you can’t go wrong. These bite-sized snacks are to die for and you’ve got to try them out!!
Pair them with a cheese sauce, or some marinara… even ranch; no matter how you do it they’re absolutely delicious. Because what’s better than the combination of crispy-crunchiness and ooey-gooey cheese? Not much! It’s a sinful snack, but don’t let that stop you.
Fried Cheese Balls
30min to prepare Serves 2-4
- 1 (8 oz.) container mini mozzarella cheese balls
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko (or seasoned) breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, as needed, for frying
- Drain your mozzarella balls and bat them dry with paper towels. Note: any mozzarella you decide to save for later should be stored in the liquid it came in (or submerged in a bowl of water).
- Set up an assembly line with three shallow bowls: flour in the first bowl, beaten eggs in the second, and breadcrumbs in the third.
- Add garlic powder, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the panko breadcrumbs and mix together thoroughly.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large Dutch oven to 375º F (make sure there's at least 2-3 inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the pot).
- Take your dry mozzarella balls in dredge each one thoroughly in flour. Shake off excess and then submerge them in eggs.
- Drip off excess egg and roll them each in seasoned panko mixture, pressing firmly so it adheres.
- Transfer balls to a baking sheet and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until chilled.
- Carefully lower cheese balls into 375º F oil and fry for 1-1 1/2 minutes, flipping occasionally, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove cheese balls and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve immediately with cheese dip (no such thing as too much cheese) or marinara sauce.
Recipe adapted from Instructables