Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, but have you ever tried raspberry shortcake?
Strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert, but have you ever tried raspberry shortcake? There’s something about the super light, biscuit-like shortcake that we absolutely love, and the sweet, yet semi-tart raspberries and freshly whipped cream really come together and complement each other.
Even the most ardent of chocoholics (that’s us) like a break from the heavy and rich desserts, and this is the perfect way to switch things up. Make it for your family for dinner or for an outdoor picnic, it’s your choice, but try it out because it’s really something special.
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, rinsed and air dried
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cups whipped cream (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, toss raspberries with 1 tablespoon sugar and make sure each is nicely coated. Then transfer to refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, remaining sugar, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Slowly pour in buttermilk into dry ingredients and mix together, then fold heavy whipped cream in and mix until shaggy dough ball begins to come together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead dough with your hands for 5 minutes, or until dough ball is fully formed and smooth.
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle, bout 1/2-inch thick, and use a large cookie cutter to cut out into 6 circles.
Optional: you could also roll dough out into a rectangular strip and use a knife to cut into triangles.
- Transfer biscuits to baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool completely.
- To serve: slice biscuits in half horizontally and spread whipped cream evenly over bottom layer.
- Top with raspberries, then place top half of biscuit on top. Cover with another layer of whipped cream and raspberries.
- Repeat with remaining shortcakes, serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from SaveurSKM: below-content placeholder