Doesn’t this strawberry galette look absolutely mouth-watering? It’s simple, rustic, and yet undeniably sweet with a savory, buttery crust that holds it all together.
For those unfamiliar with galettes, they are a French pastry of sorts. Galette is more of a broad term referring to the flat round dough, but in most cases that dough is turned into something similar to this strawberry dessert.
While you could do any number of flavor combinations here (apricot, plum, or a more savory tart with spinach and goat cheese), we went with a classic strawberry version to keep things delightfully – and delectably – simple. The lemon zest and orange juice perfectly complement the berry and bring out all its bright flavor, and the flaky, buttery crust is really just the icing on the cake
Now, this may look like some puff pastry and glazed strawberries, but it’s so much more. You might be tempted to save time by grabbing a refrigerated pie crust, but that would be a mistake! The magic of a galette is all in the dough. Luckily, it’s not too difficult to whip up yourself.
Start by mixing together flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor, pulsing to combine. Add cubed butter, then pulse until the mixture resembles small pebbles.
Working with 1 tablespoon at a time, add in water and pulse until a rough dough comes together. Turn dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and smooth together with your hands, then divide dough into four equal pieces and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate each ball of dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Keep reading to see the full ingredient list and step-by-step instructions!
Makes 4-6 servings
20m prep time
40m cook time
For the crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crust:
- Mix together flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add cubed butter, then pulse until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Working with 1 tablespoon at a time, add in water and pulse until a rough dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and smooth together with your hands, then divide dough into four equal pieces and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate each ball of dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line 1-2 baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
For the filling:
- For the filling: toss together strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract in a large bowl until combined. Let sit 20-30 minutes so flavors can blend together and develop.
- Remove one ball of dough from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to an 8 or 9-inch circle, then transfer it to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar over the bottom of dough round, then place 1/4 strawberry mixture in the center of dough, leaving 1 inch of space around the edge. Fold the outside edge of dough up and over onto the strawberries, encasing them in the dough.
- Repeat with remaining galettes, also placing them on lined baking sheet(s).
- Once you’ve assembled all of your galettes, whisk together egg white with 1 teaspoon water and brush the galette dough gently with egg mixture, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake galettes for 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Channel.