A good BBQ sauce can add a lot to your barbecue. It’s great for marinating your chicken and ribs; it’s an awesome dipping sauce for French fries and chicken nuggets; and it adds that extra oomph to pulled pork sandwiches. And making it at home can give any recipe that “home-made goodness” that you’re known for!
But did you know that you could add a rich sweetness to your BBQ sauce by using Dr. Pepper?! And it’s delicious too! The combination of this soda with brown sugar, maple syrup, and various spices blend together into a dark, yet sweet BBQ sauce that will have everyone asking how you made it! Try it out with pulled pork or with grilled chicken and become barbecue royalty!
Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce
- 1 can of Dr. Pepper (12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Combine Dr. Pepper, worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in ketchup, sugar and maple syrup, and then season with your garlic powder, chili powder and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved and sauce has thickened.
- Let cool and place in an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Miss In The Kitchen.