Give your fur babies some extra love – and keep them healthy! – with these clever homemade treats!
As anyone with pets can attest, you want to shower your fur babies with love and affection all the time, making sure they’re getting the best care possible. For us, that meant switching to making our own dog food and treats, which is super easy, but we knew we could take things a step further….
Our pups can be pretty finicky when it comes to taking their medication, so we typically relied on store-bought pill pockets to hide their medicine in. Pop the pills in there, then your dogs, thinking they’re just getting a treat, will gobble them down, including the pills. Well, said pill pockets can be rather expensive, especially it turns out the homemade version is super easy AND economical! Three ingredients are all you need for these bad boys, then you just press the pill in and you’re good to go. We can keep loving on our fur babies, knowing exactly what they’re getting, and they get all the meds they need to stay healthy!
Dog Treat Pill Pockets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together until completely combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, scoop 8-10 balls and roll them into balls, then take a skewer or chop stick and insert it into the center.
- Gently move the skewer around in a small circle, or push chop stick all the way through to create enough space for pill, then repeat with remaining balls.
- Store, refrigerated, in an air-tight container, until ready to serve. Insert pill, then smooth over the opening with your fingers to seal it. (Treats are good until expiration date of the milk you used.)
Recipe adapted from 365 Days of Baking and More