While Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation may have strong wordsregarding calzones, we couldn’t disagree with her more! They are delicious and can be filled with any number of ingredients! Serve them with some marinara sauce on the side, and you have a meal that can be tailor-made to your personal tastes. Make a calzone for each member of your family and keep everyone happy!
For these calzones, we couldn’t settle for just one cheese, so we filled it with three! Then we added some of our favorite pizza ingredients on top of that. For a fun little serving tip, add a little marinara sauce and cheese on top of the calzone after folding and bake. Keep reading below for this great recipe…
Three Cheese Pizza Calzones
(makes 4 servings)
- 1lb refrigerated (or homemade) pizza dough
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices sandwich pepperoni, quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced root to tip
- 1/2lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. In a skillet, brown the sausage, drain, and set aside. Over medium heat, cook the onions until soft and golden.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out to about 8″ in diameter.In a small bowl combine the sausage, cheese and onions. Evenly divide the pepperoni slices between the dough rounds, covering half the dough with two slices of pepperoni. Evenly divide the cheese mixture between each calzone. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal.
- If you want to bake the calzone like pictured above, spread a little marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with more mozzarella cheese. If not, mix the beaten egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush lightly over the top of the dough. Bake until golden (12 to 15 minutes). Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
Recipe adapted fromReal SimpleSKM: below-content placeholder