Granola bars are one of those sneaky snacks that seem like a healthy choice, but are usually packed with sugar. While we have a sweet tooth that basically runs the ship around here, it’s great to make our own on-the-go bars and be able to know exactly what’s in them! Here, we went with a cherry almond bar (with chocolate chips if you want to really go crazy) and, while we did sweeten it with some sugar, we used natural and organic ingredients that make us feel way better about what we’re putting in our systems. These granola bars are ridiculously yummy, perfect for taking with us out the door, and will hit the spot no matter whatwe promise!
Cherry Almond Granola Bars
Yield: 1 dozen, depending on size
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- Line a square or rectangular baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- Combine oats, almonds, flax seed, oat bran and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey, brown sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and pour over oat mixture.
- Working quickly, stir in chopped dried cherries (and chocolate chips, if using) and stir everything together until evenly coated.
- Transfer granola to baking dish and use your hands to press it firmly into the bottom of pan and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow bars to set and firm up before extracting parchment paper (using the overhang on both sides) from dish and cutting granola into equal bars.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!