This chocolate dessert is such a treat for everyone, vegan or not! As more and more people look for vegan-friendly options of tried-and-true favorites, we wanted to be able to offer something that really stands up to the original. Without having to go through too much effort, these cupcakes come together quickly, there are no complicated steps involved and you don’t have to compromise on that fantastic chocolate flavor!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1/2 stick dairy-free soy margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pure cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- optional: raspberries, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix your wet ingredients together, on medium for 1-2 minutes. (Non-dairy milk, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar and vanilla)
- In a separate bowl, sift your dry ingredients together. Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and mix well. It should be smooth, with no clumps.
- Pour the batter 2/3 of the way into the cupcake liners, about 1/4 cup per cupcake, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cupcakes should be springy to the touch.
- While the cupcakes are baking, start making your frosting. Cream your butter substitute until light and fluffy, adding in powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time. Blend in non-dairy milk, cocoa powder and vanilla. Whip until just combined.
- Let cupcakes cool fully before frosting. Optional: raspberries on top pair deliciously with the chocolate.
Recipe adapted from Oh She GlowsSKM: below-content placeholder