Roasted veggies topped with cheese is just the comfort food we need on a cold day.
It’s no secret that we love rustic fall recipes, and this vegetable bake really hits the spot for autumn weeknight dinners. Tomatoes, eggplant, bell pepper, and red onions are brightened with plenty of fresh thyme and topped with cheese and then we pop it in the oven. It’s loaded with flavor and surprisingly hearty – perfect as either a side dish or a pasta topping.
Sometimes we substitute the eggplant for zucchini, mushrooms, or whatever other vegetables we have in the fridge, and the cheesy mozzarella layer on top brings everything together. Diced eggplant makes this surprisingly filling and hearty, and it pairs really well with the bell peppers and tomatoes. Every bite is comforting and delicious!
Rustic Veggie Casserole
Serves 4; 40 minutes
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onions, bell pepper and eggplant in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add drained tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Spread vegetable mixture evenly in 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from I'd Rather Be A Chef