This classic macaroni salad with cheese and veggies is easy to whip up, simple to serve, and people love it!
Sometimes, the oldies are goodies, and that’s certainly the case for this classic macaroni salad with cheese and veggies. It’s easy to whip up, simple to serve, and most people love it, making it a must for gatherings and large parties where you need to bring along a communal dish. You can also use it as an easy summer lunch option or appetizer, or simply as a way to persuade your kids to eat extra veggies. Make it whenever you have time in the day, and simply refrigerate until you’re ready to serve; it’s that easy.
Cheese and Veggie Macaroni Salad
Serves 10; 30min
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup lightly steamed shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 tablespoon celery seed
- sugar to taste
- cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- Use the pack instructions to cook the macaroni until it reaches a slightly softer than al dente texture; do not overcook. Drain it and rinse immediately in cold water to remove excess starch.
- Combine the cooked and cooled pasta with the tomato, celery, carrot, parsley, and cheese in a large container or bowl. If you have any additional vegetables you want to use, such as bell peppers or green onions, dice them finely and add them at this stage.
- Make a dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, and celery seed with just a touch of sugar in a separate bowl. Stir well to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the prepared macaroni mixture, season with salt and pepper, and mix to ensure that all of the ingredients are coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home