We like to wind down after a long day with this creamy chicken and wild rice soup. While chili is in heavy rotation during the winter, we like to switch things up every once in a while with a soup that’s just as refreshing as it is filling. With a subtle dash of lemon zest that combines beautifully with the savory chicken, this soup provides a delicious alternative to everyday soups; we love it and so does our family!
This soup feels hearty but not heavy, and the flavor from all the fresh herbs and lemon zest is really second to none. It’s one of those kinds of soups that’s great to make in a big batch at the beginning of the week and reheat for lunches or a quick dinner. It’s comforting; it’s full of good, nourishing ingredients; and it’s totally delicious.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
50min to prepare serves 6-8
- 6 ounces wild rice
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tablespoon marjoram
- 1/4 tablespoon sage
- 1/4 tablespoon rosemary
- Mix black pepper with flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine cubed, cooked chicken breast with chicken broth in a large pot. Once the broth starts to boil, stir in the wild rice, minced garlic, thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary. Cover pot and remove from heat.
- Melt 12 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Add celery, carrots and onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add salt-free seasoning blend to the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Create a roux by slowly stirring in the black pepper and flour mixture into the melted butter and vegetables. Cook, stirring constantly, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk cream into the roux. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Stir cream mixture into the pot containing the rice, chicken and chicken broth. Add lemon zest to mixture, if using.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat until rice is completely cooked and chicken is heated through.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy