Indulge your sweet tooth and leave the guilt behind with these decadent black bean brownies.
Indulge your sweet tooth and leave the guilt behind with these decadent black bean brownies. Offering a good source of protein, chocolaty goodness and a break from beating batter, it’s hard to imagine this recipe getting any better, but it does. You can even serve this scrumptious flour-free treat to your gluten-intolerant friends. Who would have thought that beans and chocolate were a match made in gastronomic heaven? Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, but chances are good that your household will finish them off long before then.
Black Bean Brownies
Serves 16 45min
- 1 can no-salt-added black beans (15 ounce), rinsed
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, gluten-free
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, gluten-free
- 1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- butter for preparing pan
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan with butter and set aside.
- Blend the beans, eggs, butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla and sugar in a food processor until creamy smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts and raisins.
- Turn into buttered pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into 16 squares.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market