Dish up a healthy serving of this five-bean salad for a twist on traditional boring side dishes. Five different beans give this salad a look that is as colorful as it is nutritious. Packed full of minerals and fiber, this cholesterol-lowering salad is sure to become a family favorite.
Carry this salad out to your next picnic, or save it for a weeknight meal. Fix it ahead of time, or mix it together at the last minute using canned beans that are easy to prepare. Add a little hot sauce or other flavoring of choice, and make it a weekly family request.
- 1 (8.75 oz.) can corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can black eyed peas
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves, optional
- Rinse and drain each can of beans and corn.
- Toss the beans, corn and diced onion together with the olive oil in a large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Mix with the beans.
- Toss well with cilantro and oregano, and serve at room temperature for maximum enjoyment.
Recipe adapted from EpicuriousSKM: below-content placeholder
Whizzco for 12T