We love to have a batch of muffins on hand for our family to quickly grab and enjoy as a breakfast or snack. We love all kinds of muffins, like fresh blueberry and banana nut, but this time we decided to give a little nod to the fall season with this apple cinnamon crumb-coated muffin recipe. With bits of fresh apple and a sweet cinnamon-sugar topping, this muffin almost feels like a dessert, but we’re just gonna serve it up for breakfast anyway!
With the generous bounty of apples that come in with the fall season, we’re thinking of all the fun ways we can use apples in our cooking, and clearly, apple muffins were the right choice. As much as we love the chunks of apple floating throughout the muffin, it’s the cinnamon sugar crumb topping that we really go nuts for. It’s our favorite kind of muffin top! The sweet grainy chunks of cinnamon, sugar, and butter accompany each and every bite of the muffin, that is assuming you don’t just eat the top of the muffin first!
Crumb-coated apple muffins are perfect for just about any occasion, from brunch to a care package, to share with co-workers or to have on hand in our kitchens as a grab-n-go breakfast or snack. And the kitchen smells absolutely divine while these bake in the oven! There’s something about the cool, crisp, rainy season that calls for warm spiced foods, and these muffins are just what we’re looking for when we think of baked goods for a fall breakfast.
Crumb-Coated Apple Muffins
40 minutes to prepare serves 12
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together oil, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, and buttermilk. Add eggs and vanilla, whisking until well blended.
- Stir flour mixture into wet mixture until combined. Fold in diced apple pieces. Pour batter into muffin tins, ¾ full.
- Prepare crumble topping by whisking 1 cup flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon ground ginger with melted butter. Stir until crumbly. Sprinkle crumble topping over muffins and bake for 22-25 minutes. Check for doneness before removing from oven to cool.
Recipe adapted from Sugar Spun Run.