An easy fifteen minute side that dresses up anything you serve it with.
It is usually the case that the main dish is the main part of a meal, but not so much when you serve these. See, these are a side dish that steals the show each and every time. Tender, earthy mushrooms simmered in an oh-so flavorful creamy and garlicky sauce – it’s hard to pay attention to anything else. (Oh, and they’ll only take you about fifteen minutes to throw together.)
This works just fine with sliced mushrooms, but I like the heartier effect that whole mushrooms have. You can use crimini, baby bella, white button… whatever you can find and happen to enjoy! Just clean them up and cook them in some butter and a bit of olive oil until they start to soften and then add in some white wine to reduce.
Then comes the garlic. Plenty of garlic. (Like six cloves, thank you very much.) Once that’s fragrant, you stir in some cream, thyme, and onion powder and let things bubble until it thickens a bit.
A little Parmesan gets stirred in as the final flourish. It’s not enough to make this cheesy, rather it just adds a nutty umami flavor to the sauce.
These are so simple, and they’re so quick to make, but they’re also so flavorful. It’s the type of side dish that really doesn’t take you any time at all and yet it dresses up anything you’re serving it with, whether that’s steak or a basic chicken breast. You’ll find yourself turning to this easy side time and time again and you can be sure that your kitchen will smell amazing every time you do!
Creamy Garlic Butter Mushrooms
5m prep time
10m cook time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 26 oz small mushrooms, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, drizzle with olive oil and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine and let reduce 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in cream, onion powder, and thyme. Let simmer until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese until melted and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Build Your Bite.