Just ’cause it ain’t pretty doesn’t mean it ain’t delicious. This quick chicken and eggplant dinner is a one-pan meal that gets rave reviews around here. The chicken and eggplant are simmered in a creamy dijon and white wine sauce that’s flavored with earthy rosemary and a hint of garlic. The savory sauce is velvety while the chicken remains moist and the mild eggplant adds a tender texture. The flavors work together really nicely and we love how quickly it’s on the table!
The whole thing comes together in under thirty minutes. We bet if you got yourself in the car, drove to a drive-thru to pick up some food and came right back home, you couldn’t make it back in under thirty minutes. So why not cook up a few simple ingredients at home? That way you control the ingredients, the taste, and you still have dinner on the table in less than half an hour.
If you’re feeling so inclined, this dish is great served over mashed potatoes or even over some pasta. Either option is basically just a vehicle to soak up some of that delicious sauce, but it’s a nice way to stretch a meal a bit. This one is pretty budget friendly no matter what, but we don’t mind stretching a dollar where we can. (And who doesn’t love pasta or mashed potatoes?) As far as we’re concerned, budget-friendly, quick, and tasty are the three main criteria for a winning meal, so this one is pretty much a champion.
Creamy Chicken & Eggplant Dinner
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1-2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and then coat the chicken in flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and saute until chicken is golden brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are beginning to soften and turn translucent, 4-5 more minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook 1 more minute.
- Add wine, garlic, cream, and Dijon mustard, and stir until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and let cook until chicken has cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 10 more minutes. Season to taste as needed. Enjoy!
Adapted from Salt and Lavender.