A warm cup or bowl of soup is a great way to take the chill off of a cold fall or winter day. Occasionally soups allow for the incorporation of unexpected ingredients, and in this case we love to throw in one of our favorite vegetables: artichokes. Artichokes are often associated as a dip for a chip, the occasional pizza topping, or boiled and seasoned for a snack. Not anymore! We figure this is a great way to sneak in a few vegetables into an otherwise creamy and delicious meal.
This recipe starts out with conventional soup ingredients, like carrots, celery, and onion, but a few more ingredients make this one pot meal really pop. Artichokes hearts are the “meat” of this soup, which is made even heartier with the addition of milk and cream. You definitely will feel satisfied after eating a bowl of this soup! For a little extra goodness, we like to add freshly shaved parmesan to the top before serving, with a little fresh cracked pepper too. This meal comes together so quickly – it’s really quite easy to make and even easier to eat, so grab a toasty baguette and start eating!
Creamy Artichoke Soup
40 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 (13 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped or “stemmed”
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté carrots, celery, onion, and artichokes until softened. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix in mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and sauté for 1 minute. Add vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking on medium low heat for 10 minutes, then pour in milk and heavy cream and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 10 more minutes to allow milk and cream to thicken the soup.
- Add more vegetable broth to thin out the soup if it becomes too thick. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Recipe adapted from Busy Mommy