If you have yet to experience the sweet Italian confection that is cannolis, then you’ve been missing out! A traditional cannoli consists of a tube of fried dough with a sugary, creamy center, usually with chocolate chips and a few other add-ins.
Chocolate Chip Cannoli Dip is a simplified version of the classic Sicilian treat. Instead of hassling with pastry dough and figuring out how to shape it into a tube and fry it, this dip is all about the delicious filling.
What exactly goes into cannoli filling? Two kinds of cheeses, for starters. Ricotta cheese and mascarpone combine to get the dense, rich, creamy texture. For those not familiar, mascarpone is Italian cream cheese, and it can be purchased at most grocery stores.
You may be tempted to buy regular cream cheese instead since it’s a bit cheaper, but that would be a mistake! In order to get the full cannoli experience, mascarpone is a must. What makes it so different? It’s all about the fat content.
According to Spoon University, “By law, American cream cheese must contain at least 33 percent milkfat and no more than 55 percent moisture. Mascarpone is essentially Italian cream cheese, but it’s made from whole cream.” In other words, mascarpone is much richer and creamier than its American counterpart.
Okay, so now that we have the cheese situation all sorted out, let’s get down to business. To make this easy dip, simply beat together ricotta and mascarpone, along with powdered sugar. Then, mix in cinnamon, orange zest, and vanilla. Lastly, fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. That’s really all there is to it!
Serve this delicious dessert dip with vanilla wafers, graham crackers, or even broken up waffle cones if you’re feeling fancy! Go ahead and check out the easy recipe below. Fair warning – this stuff is dangerously addictive!
Chocolate Chip Cannoli Dip
Makes about 4 cups
10m prep time
- 1 (15 ounce) container Ricotta cheese (drained if needed)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (more for topping)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (more for topping)
- Serve with: Graham crackers or vanilla wafers
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, mascarpone, and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add in vanilla, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Fold in mini chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Top with additional mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Snappy Gourmet.