I don’t know about you, but my family and I love anything to do with tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and pretty much any Mexican cuisine available. While tacos are a quick and easy weeknight dinner that seems to satisfy that craving, I’m always on the hunt for creative recipes with all of the Mexican spices and flavors that we love.
Enter: Chicken Enchilada Meatballs. Truly, this meal is everything I could have ever hoped for. The prep is made easy by using a taco seasoning packet, canned enchilada sauce, and breadcrumbs. Plus, this is a slow cooker meal! That’s truly a win-win in my book. Keep reading to see how to throw this meal together in no time!
Start by making the meatballs. Combine ground chicken, taco seasoning, and breadcrumbs and then form 2-inch meatballs. Broil the chicken meatballs for a few minutes so they get that nice, crispy outside. This will also help the meat from drying out during the next steps.
Once you’ve broiled the meatballs, place them in the slow cooker along with the enchilada sauce. Cook on low for a few hours and top with cheese and cilantro! The ingredients may be simple, but I promise all of your favorite enchilada flavors are packed right in. Dip these babies in salsa or sour cream and you’re good to go.
These beauties make for the perfect appetizer; simply serve with a side of sour cream or salsa for dipping! You can get creative with these flavorful meatballs and wrap them up in a tortilla or place them on top of nachos. Really, there’s no wrong way to serve and eat these delicious Chicken Enchilada Meatballs.
Go ahead and give these a try! If your family loves them half as much as mine does, you’ll want to make a double batch.
Chicken Enchilada Meatballs
Serves 6-8; 15 minutes active, 2 hours inactive
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Sour cream for dipping (optional)
- Set oven to broil.
- Place chicken in a medium bowl and mix in taco seasoning packet and breadcrumbs using either your fingers or a spoon.
- Form meatballs, around 2 inches in diameter and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Broil meatballs until browned, about 5 minutes, turning meatballs half-way through.
- Transfer meatballs to the slow cooker and cover with enchilada sauce. Cook on low for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with cheese and cilantro. Use sour cream as a dipping sauce (optional).
Recipe adapted from Hungry Food Love.