Your new favorite weeknight casserole!
Well if chicken and broccoli casserole isn’t comfort food, we don’t know what is. Add in a surprise crunchy cornflake topping and we’ve just about died and gone to heaven! This dish happens to be a mainstay in our house because it’s quick and easy and we usually have everything for it on hand, but mostly because it’s so doggone tasty. It’s comfort food at its finest.
We love a good casserole because it’s a whole dinner in one dish. There’s no need to think of extra sides and salads and such to go along with it because your veggies are already mixed in. Just spend a few minutes mixing ingredients together before you pop the whole thing in the oven, then step away from the kitchen to put your feet up (the laundry can wait!) and dinner is done.
The next time you’re looking for some quick, satisfying comfort food, try this casserole. Your friends and family will love the addition of the cornflakes; they’re delicate and crispy and a fun departure from the usual breadcrumbs. Before you know it you’ll be sprinkling them on everything you bake! Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Chicken and Broccoli Cornflake Casserole
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 package (14 oz.) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained
- 2 cans (10.5 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cornflake cereal
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a large casserole dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, 1 cup of the cornflakes, onion, garlic powder, lemon juice, and black pepper.
- Add the cooked chicken and broccoli florets and stir to combine. Spread mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, fold 1 cup cornflakes gently into the melted butter.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over top of casserole, followed by cornflake topping.
- Bake uncovered until cornflakes are crisp and casserole is bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from All Recipes.