There’s just something about a hearty dish that warms the heart…
There’s just something about a hearty gumbo that warms the heart, even when you’re chilled to the bone! We love meals that leave you satisfied after just one bowl, and with this protein and fiber filled gumbo, one bowl is all you’ll need! Black eyed peas have numerous health benefits including lowering blood pressure, helping with digestion, and keeping blood sugar balanced.
Chock-full of healthy veggies such as celery, bell peppers, and tomatoes, and a bit of a kick with green chilies and garlic, this gumbo is flavorful and good for you. Win win! And did we mention it’s a one pot meal? There’s nothing better than being able to throw everything on the stove and let the magic happen while you relax after a long day at work! Plus, this recipe is so flexible, just toss in whatever veggies you have on hand. It doesn’t get much easier (or healthier) than this!
Chicken and Bean Gumbo
Serves 8; 1 hr 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, with juice
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil (for topping)
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook chicken pieces until done. Set chicken aside.
- In the same pot, sauté onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth, add rice, cooked chicken, black eyed peas, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
- Chop fresh basil and sprinkle on top of gumbo before serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipe 4 Living.