The trick is used to achieve a moist and juicy turkey.
Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away, which means on the last Thursday in November, thousands of turkeys will be roasted, grilled, fried, and smoked in homes across the country. But whether you’re a holiday veteran doing yet another tour of duty in the kitchen, or a newbie throwing your first Thanksgiving, the biggest challenge ever is always getting an evenly-cooked turkey that retains its moistness. So how exactly do you achieve this?
While every seasoned home chef has their methods, the traditional roasting method has gotten some revamped tricks and hacks in order to ensure your turkey comes out more flavorful, is quicker to cook, or is well-done. A video from Kitchen Conundrums, shows chef Thomas Joseph walking us through how to cook a juicy turkey. His secret? Flipping the bird!
And now, we will help walk you through his method:
Upside-Down Roasted Turkey Ingredients
• 1 fresh turkey – about 18 lbs.
• 1 unsliced loaf of bread
• 1 stick of unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 teaspoons black pepper
• Spice blend (optional)
• Stuffing (optional)
• Butcher’s twine
• Roasting pan
1. Warm it Up: Preheat oven to 425°Fahrenheit.
2. Level Your Bread: Level the top of a bread loaf by cutting off the top part, making it flat.
3. Slice and Butter It: Slice the bread loaf lengthwise, ensuring it’s still connected at the middle seam. Open the “flaps” and place it inside of the roasting pan with the inside facing up. Butter the inside of the bread loaf thoroughly.
4. Season Your Bird: Mix the salt and pepper together and sprinkle both the inside and outside of the whole turkey. If you have your own spice blend, then use that too.
5. Tip The Wings: Fold the neck skin under. Then rotate and tuck the wing tips in order to have them rest under the breasts.
6. Tie it Up: Tie the legs together using a small piece of butcher’s twine.
7. Flip it Over: Take your bird and flip it onto the top of the bread in the roaster. The top side should now be facing downwards and the underside should be face up. Season the bare portion of the turkey.
8. Cook Once: With the legs first, place the turkey onto the lowest-lying rack in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven.
9. Cut the Temp: Lower the oven temperature to 350°Fahrenheit.
10. Flip it Again
For full instructions you can follow the video below:SKM: below-content placeholder