We love a good meatball in our house, and these yummy darlings are delightfully delicious. One of the reasons we love a meatball is because they’re both easy to make and super versatile. A meatball can be served over just about anything, from arugula salad to pasta with tomato sauce, and of course as a classic meatball sub. We particularly enjoy this recipe because of the generous additions of sweetness from carrots and onions. Both add a wonderful texture and, as they cook, add a subtly sweet flavor to make each bite something truly mouthwatering and amazing.
Our carrot and onion meatballs really are something special, and you can bet that these babies will disappear in a flash, so a double batch is often in order. Any extra meatballs can be frozen and pulled out later on for an easy meal later in the week or month. We love these as a meal or a snack, and so these meatballs have definitely made an appearance at a few parties as a finger-food friendly appetizer, and we like to keep a variety of dipping sauces on the side.
The best tools we have in our kitchen have to be our own two hands. So after a little chopping, we get to dive and get our hands into the mixing and forming of each meatball. A heaping tablespoon is about the right size for each meatball. After 20 minutes or so in the oven, these are almost ready to serve. We like to let our meatballs rest for 5 minutes; it helps to keep them moist and juicy, and of course to cool down enough for us to eat! We hope you enjoy these meatballs as much as our family does!
Carrot and Onion Meatballs
45 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix beef, carrot, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, tomato paste, salt, and pepper, with a fork or with clean hands, until well combined.
- Roll into meatballs, roughly one heaping tablespoon in size. Space meatballs apart for even cooking. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Fitter Food.