We are huge fans of dessert over here, so we’re constantly brainstorming different yummy and delicious ideas for new treats. They don’t have to be fancy, because we know that sometimes the best things come from the more simplistic dishes. These amazing blackberry jam shortbread bars are a perfect example of that; a simple shortbread crust with some nice jam is really all you need here.
The crust is buttery and perfectly flaky and the jam is just the right amount of sweet, without going overboard. These bars are an excellent choice for any given day with your family (feel free to get the kids involved with the jam or the dough making!) or a great option if you need to bring something to a meeting or group event. You can’t go wrong–everybody will gobble them up!
Blackberry Shortbread Bars
Yields 30 small bars; 15 large
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups seedless blackberry jam (or other berry jam of your choice)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup almonds, finely ground (or almond flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. 4-5 minutes.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt and beat until combined, then gradually mix in ground almonds and flour.
- Mix on low speed until dough begins to come together. Once dough is smooth and fully combined, divide in half, wrap both halves firmly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Note: if not baking immediately, you can freeze the dough at this point.
- Once chilled, press one half of dough firmly into the bottom of baking dish, making sure to fill in the corners.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are just beginning to brown.
- Pour blackberry jam into a bowl and stir until smooth. Remove dish from oven and spread jam evenly over the crust.
- Take remaining dough half and crumble it over the jam. Return pan to oven and bake for another 30 minutes, or until top crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars and serving.
Optional: sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from Recipe GirlSKM: below-content placeholder