Bacon Brussels Sprouts Gratin
This stuff is creamy and cheesy AND topped with bacon?? Yes, please!
Brussels Sprouts are one of our favorite veggies, in spite of the fact that they don’t have the best reputation. We typically chalk up people’s distaste for the green veggie to not knowing just how delicious it can be – roasting is basically the only way to go – and therefore not realizing how great it is, and we try to do our parts to show everyone what a great ingredient it is. Here, we took some lightly roasted brussels (gotta get a little color on them) and then made a creamy, cheesy, flavorful gratin to showcase them and make everyone fall in love with them…you need to try this!
The key here is roasting your sprouts ahead of time. Not only does this ensure that your veggies will be perfectly tender by the time they’re cooked in the gratin and come out of the oven, but roasting them gives amazing flavor that takes everything up a notch. Add to that the crumbled bacon, cheese and rosemary, and you’ve got yourself a side dish that’ll steal the show. At least that’s what happened at our dinner!
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved
- 8 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated, optional
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 sprig rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Toss brussel sprouts in olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place them in a large baking dish and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until semi-softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, heavy cream, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes (if using), then stir in cheeses.
- Remove brussel sprouts from oven and add 3/4 bacon to the baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top and stir everything together, then top with remaining bacon.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350º, return baking dish to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.