Apple pie is one of those complex flavors that is pretty much universally appealing. But, making a pie from scratch not only requires a lot of effort, it also takes up the oven for a long time. These air fryer apple pie bites don’t take a lot of know-how to make and don’t hog the oven- which is perfect for when you’ve got other things to bake. Plus, this fun recipe is great to do with kids for a special treat that’s anything but ordinary.
To make this recipe you’ll need to buy some canned biscuits and then split each one as shown above.
Then flatten the dough a little and place some apple pie filling inside. You can make your own from scratch or buy canned from the grocery. I went the easy route for this recipe, but whichever one you choose just know that you’ll probably need to break up the apples a bit to fill the dough. I found that each circle of dough comfortably held about 1.5 apple halves- any more than that and they became difficult to seal up.
To seal them I crimped the tops, then sort of rolled them around to make more of a ball shape. I found that placing them seam side up in the air fryer meant that they didn’t leak any filling- even when a few of them popped open from the heat.
When they get all golden on the outside take them out and dip each ball in melted butter.
After that coat them in a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamom. Make sure to coat all sides well.
These air fryer apple pie bites are little drops of heaven. The rich flavor is almost like a cross between a piece of apple pie and an apple-filled donut dipped in sugar. For an outstanding take on an American classic, look no further than this easy and decadent recipe.
Air Fryer Apple Pie Bites
Makes 16 balls
15m prep time
24m cook time
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 can (8 count) refrigerated biscuits (not flaky) or pre-made pie crust
- 1 cup apple pie filling, with apples cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium bowl combine sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, and allspice. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl combine remaining cinnamon with the apple pie filling. Separate each biscuit into 2 layers for 16 circles. If using pie crust roll out to 1/ 8-1/ 4” and cut 16 circles about 2” across.
- Spoon some filling into each circle, then close dough around filling like a dumpling. Crimp at the top to keep filling from coming out during cooking.
- Cook in air fryer at 350˚F 4-6 at a time for 6-8 minutes each batch. Remove from air fryer and roll in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar.
Recipe adapted from I Am Baker.