It’s so easy to make, I just might make one of these every night this week!
As much as we love a dish prepared from scratch, we also love a good short cut to help us enjoy a recipe much more quickly. Our 5 ingredient old-fashioned banana pudding is a great shortcut to delicious dessert in a pinch. A few store-bought ingredients help bring this dessert to life, but we can’t resist a little added flare at the end to make this taste even better.
At the grocery store, grab a package of vanilla wafer cookies and a couple instant jello pudding packets, then add to that a few at home ingredients (bananas and egg whites), and you’ve got pretty much everything you need. A little extra effort comes with whipping up the egg whites, but trust us, a little bit goes a long way. To finish up, set everything under the broiler for a few minutes to put a golden crust on top of the whipped egg whites. We love the toasty marshmallow flavor that broiling provides, and it makes a simple dessert look a little fancier. What’s not to love about a simple, comforting dessert that everyone will enjoy?!
5 Ingredient Banana Pudding Pie
Serves 6-8 20 minutes
- 25-30 vanilla wafer cookies
- 2 packages (3.4 ounce) instant butterscotch or toffee pudding mix
- 2¾ cups cold milk (for mixing instant pudding)
- 3-4 bananas, sliced
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- *2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- Mix pudding with cold milk and set aside.
- Place vanilla wafers along the bottom of an oven-safe serving dish, including along the sides.
- Slice bananas to ¼-inch thickness and place half over bottom layer of vanilla wafers.
- Pour half of pudding mixture over the bananas and wafers, gently spreading out to sides of dish.
- Repeat with a second layer (remaining bananas and more pudding).
- In a mixing bowl, whip egg whites, vanilla (optional), and cornstarch until stiff peaks form. Gently spread whipped egg whites on top of pudding wafer mixture, using a spoon or rubber spatula to make decorative peaks, if desired.
- Set broiler to low and place pie under broiler until meringue turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, or until slightly cooled.
Recipe adapted from Cooks.com