One of our favorite summer veggies – though technically a fruit – is summer squash, both zucchini and yellow squash. We’ve found they’re super easy to grow, so we always have them in abundance in our backyard, and look for new and interesting ways to put them into tasty dishes.
Here, we use the yellow and green little guys, along with fresh onion and basil, to create a cheesy casserole that no one can resist! Everything bakes perfectly together and the finished result is a hot and bubbly dish that serves as either a side dish or an entrée. If you want a fresh summer dish that everyone will love, look no further – this one delivers every time.
Zucchini Summer Squash Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 6-8
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, squash, onion, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and basil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in garlic powder, thyme and oregano.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and top with remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, then sprinkle parmesan over the top.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen