We think of zucchinis as being the perfect summer vegetable, so what better way to enjoy them than in a hearty casserole?! We paired this yummy veg with rice and (tons of) cheese, and the result is a delicious side that goes well with anything and everything. We love this dish throughout the year, but get the summer zucchini – or squash – while it's in season and dive in!
Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole
- 6 cups zucchini, chopped (approx. 2 pounds)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated, divided
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, optional, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat and saute zucchinis and onions until tender. 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain off excess liquid, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice with green chilies (if using), sour cream, parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella and garlic powder, and stir together.
- Transfer rice mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish and top with zucchinis and onion.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and remaining mozzarella over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until golden browned.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home