We feel like lentils never get their fair share of attention and we’re here to give em so love. These tiny beans are packed with protein and nutrients, plus they’re low in fat and sodium, making them a pretty great choice for any side dish you’re making to go with your main course.
In this case, we wanted to showcase lentils along with some other awesome veggies, so we threw in spinach, corn, onions and tomato (and let’s not forget the cheese), and baked everything until it was hot and bubbly. Even if veggies aren’t totally your thing, we know you’ll like this dish and you’ll really love the fact that it’s great for you!
Red Lentil And Corn Bake
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large, ripe tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute onions until translucent and tender. 5-7 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking, add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Then add corn and spinach and cook until just wilted. About 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add lentils and vegetable stock and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish and stir in cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Net Mums