Peppermint is one of those seasonal flavors that we love to indulge in when the time is right! In tea, in ice cream, it’s great to have so many options with which we can satiate our peppermint craving! In this case, we decided to try our hand at whipping up a delicious minty and chocolate-y peppermint hot chocolate.
By using chopped chocolate and actual peppermint candies, you really amp up the flavor and take this warm drink to a new level. You can make it at night, after a long day when you want to unwind, or on a cold Sunday morning, when your only plans involve vegetating somewhere warmthere’s no right or wrong way to enjoy this tasty bev! We know that peppermint tends to be one of those things that people either loveor hate, so if you’re not a big fan, swap out the peppermint candies and extract for something else (caramel, perhaps?) and enjoy. Otherwise, get ready for a perfectly minty, chocolate indulgence!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 peppermint candies, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 drop peppermint extract
- whipped cream, garnish
- red sprinkles, optional
- Warm milk and heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a steady simmer. (Don’t boil.)
- Add sugar and 1/2 of crushed peppermints to milk and stir until they’re completely dissolved.
- When smooth, add chopped chocolate and peppermint extract and whisk until melted and thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and remaining crushed peppermints or red sprinkles. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Chow