These Meatballs Are So Good, You’ll Never Guess What’s In Them!
We’re meat-lovers over here all right, but that doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate (and absolutely adore) certain vegetarian dishes…especially if they’re super flavorful! In this case, we decided to switch up our weekly tradition of spaghetti with pork meatballs in favor of something different; meatless meatballs that use white beans and mushrooms.
We’ve gotta say, we were seriously floored by the results! These meatballs, which we rolled in breadcrumbs for a little extra “oomph,” were juicy and tender and totally perfect with marinara sauce and cheese. If you’re actively searching for more veggie-filled dishes, or just looking for something new and delicious to try, these babies don’t disappoint!
White Bean And Mushroom “Meatballs”
- 1 1/2 (15 oz.) cans white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz. button mushrooms, scrubbed with a damp towel to remove dirt and chopped
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- marinara sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line 1-2 baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion until softened. 5-7 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add mushrooms and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant.
- Season everything with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, then add drained white beans and lemon juice and stir together.
- Transfer mixture to food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until coarse and combined.
- Pour in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley, and pulse together.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper (and red pepper flakes, if so desired).
- Use a spoon to form small, equal-sized “meatballs” and roll them each in breadcrumbs before placing on lined baking sheet.
- Place baking trays in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Remove trays from oven and flip meatballs over, then return to oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove from oven and serve, as is, or with marinara sauce and extra cheese.
Recipe adapted from The Loosely Followed Recipes