When you see the bright colors that the hearty ingredients of this dish deliver you might just wonder, why on earth is this called, “Ugly Dip”? Don’t get us wrong, dip isn’t always the first thing you think of when it comes to pretty food, right? Dip, is that low key American signature dish that can quickly become the center of attention at any gathering because it’s something people share and it’s so darn addictive! We love that dip naturally brings people together and as a result, becomes a great conversation starter. It’s magic when that happens between people and while the name of this dip might create some good laughs, you’ll soon realize it’s seriously delicious once you taste it!
The hearty, vegetable-based recipe – including black beans, yellow corn, and fresh green scallions – is sure to brighten your table, while a touch of apple cider vinegar and feta cheese add a tang that really complements the taste of the sweet corn. Other versions of this dish calls for quite a bit of oil, but we like it better with less, so we scaled it back a bit and definitely prefer our updated version. If you want even less, don’t be shy about reducing the oil again; down to 1-2 tablespoons would still be fine, but be sure to at least let the mixture marinate in all the liquid ingredients before you serve – this ensures you’ll get maximum flavor. Just drain off most of the dressing when you’re ready to serve so your ingredients don’t get too soft, then you’re good to go!
This quick and delicious dish can make a great starter or even a yummy snack that goes great with crisp tortilla chips. Honestly, there’s so many things you can do with this recipe! It can go from being a great dip to something that makes a great addition to a new meal; you can add it to your eggs for breakfast, or combine it with some cooked chicken or beef with tortillas for delicious tacos. We do need to warn you that you might not have any leftovers to use though, because people will flock to this dish and eat it up! We can personally say that there is nothing ugly about the delicious flavors that this dip will bring to any table or occasion!
15 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn kernels (white or yellow), rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz.) package feta cheese, crumbled or chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- tortilla chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar and sugar, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together black beans, corn and feta until combined.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and stir together until everything is fully coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving, so flavors have time to blend and build. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Madame Deals