Sushi is wonderful for so many reasons: it’s light, delicious, and bite-sized just to name a few. We love sushi so much that we decided to apply those three principles to the world of desserts to create the ultimate mini-mouthful.
Behold, the dessert-sushi crêpe!
By adding vanilla to some crêpe batter and slicing up your favorite fruits, your dessert sushi can achieve amazing flavor combinations! We chose mango, pineapple, and strawberries for ours, but you can use whatever fruit you want to! The trick is to use cream cheese as the “sticky rice” to get your roll to stay together. After you’re done, you can drizzle chocolate sauce across the top of your roll or pour it into a small small dish to look like soy sauce! This dessert has it all. And however you present it, your dessert sushi is guaranteed to be a hit at your next dinner party!
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced pineapple
- 3/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup sliced mango
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted; 1-2 tablespoons for greasing pan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate sauce (as topping)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (as topping)
- Begin by slicing your pineapple, strawberries, and mango into long, pencil-width strips. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and eggs, and stir well. Once incorporated, slowly pour in vanilla, water, and milk and mix until everything has just come together.
- Add melted butter and salt.
- In a large frying pan (a square pan is preferable) melt 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Once hot, pour 1/4 cup batter into the pan, swirling so it evenly coats the bottom, and cook for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown. Note: With crêpes you do not need to flip and cook the other side, but you can if you want.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Set your crêpes aside to cool.
- Take a single crêpe and lay it flat on the counter top, cutting it into rectangle. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese across the crêpe.
- Lay your strips of fruit end-to-end across one end of your crêpes, covering about 2″ of the crêpe’s length. Roll your fruit into the crepe long-ways, so that the fruit is pointing out of the middle. The cream cheese should help the roll stay closed.
- Repeat this with each of your dessert rolls.
- Cut your crêpe-rolls into 1 1/2 inch discs.
- Drizzle your finished pieces with with chocolate syrup and dust with powdered sugar.