There are some childhood favorites that neither you, nor your kids ever tire of, but it’s frustrating when there’s no way to make them healthier, or adapt them to fit your dietary needs. Good thing that’s not the case with these gluten-free chicken nuggets!
These nuggets are gluten-free, which makes them an awesome choice for kids normally restricted by dietary constraints, and since you’re making them, you know exactly what goes into them; win-win. Thank goodness it’s now possible (and easy) to make these bite-sized nuggets in the comfort of our own kitchenour kids love them and so do we!
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- coconut oil or vegetable oil, for frying, as needed
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and use a meat mallet to pound meat to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut breasts into strips and then cut strips into small, even pieces.
- Set up an assembly line with one shallow bowl filled with beaten egg and water, and another shallow dish filled with flour, Panko, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat about 1/3 cup coconut or vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it’s hot.
Note: oil should sizzle when you sprinkle water drops in it
- Take your chicken nuggets and drop them in the egg wash, making sure they’re totally submerged and covered.
- Shake off excess egg and then dredge nuggets in seasoned flour and Panko mixture, pressing firmly on all sides so it adheres.
- Carefully drop nuggets in frying oil and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, then flip over and cook other side.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and repeat with remaining nuggets.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Whole New Mom