While we didn’t have them very often growing up, there’s something about rice krispie treats that is so quintessential, it makes us feel like kids again every time we eat them.
These sticky sweets are all things chewy and crispy, plus they’re ridiculously easy to make! If you’ve got kids you want to surprise or you just want to whip up a batch for yourself, for old time’s sake, melt down some marshmallows and throw in your rice krispies and you’re in business!
Rice Krispie Treats
Yield: 1 dozen
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows (or 1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow fluff)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- non-stick spray
- Line a 9×13 or 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides. Spray parchment paper lightly with non-stick spray.
- Grease a large bowl with non-stick spray and place rice krispies inside. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add salt and stir until melted.
- Pour in mini marshmallows and, stirring constantly, cook until melted and smooth.
- Mix in vanilla extract, then remove from heat and pour over rice krispies.
- Using a spoon that’s been lightly greased, mix cereal together until everything is thoroughly coated, then transfer to lined baking dish.
- Use your hands to smooth rice krispies into an even layer and let set.
- Take parchment paper overhang and extract cooled rice krispie treat from baking dish. Cut into squares and serve immediately, or store in an air-tight container.
Recipe adapted from Joy Of Baking