Have you ever had pasties before? A Midwestern specialty (with the “pa” pronounced like “flat” or “last”), pasties are a type of hand pie that are typically stuffed with meat or veggies. They’re like a larger, European version of an empanada, and they are undeniably delicious. With a never-ending amount of options of what we could possibly stuff our pasties with, we took inspiration from all our favorite Thanksgiving flavors and decided to make leftovers-stuffed pasties, making sure to not leave out any T-giving feast staples. Which means we threw in: roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy.
To anyone who’s ever stood over the stove (attempting) to make their own gravy, it should come as no surprise that we went with McCormick® Simply Better Turkey Gravy. This ready-made gravy tastes amazing and that saves you so. much. time. Especially in this case when you’ve got all your other ingredients ready to go, but maybe ran out of gravy or don’t feel like getting hit in the eye with hot fat as you stir the drippings over the stove. (Just us?) Plus, it has no artificial flavors, no added MSG and is made with McCormick herbs and spices. And, it has way fewer calories than traditional gravy, which means you get to eat even more of your favorite foods – yay!
If you haven’t heard of or tried these bad boys before, now’s your chance. They’re so yummy, you can stuff ‘em with whatever you like, although we feel that this leftover situation is really the way to go, and they’re an amazing way to repurpose leftovers into something new and exciting. Not to mention the fact that they’re adorable and fit in the palm of your hand. Really, who wouldn’t get excited about them?!
Looking to find McCormick Simply Better Turkey Gravy? Find it at a store near you here.
Time to Prepare: 40 minutes
- 2 (11 oz.) boxes refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast, cubed or shredded
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked or leftover stuffing
- 1/4-1/3 cup McCormick Simply Better Turkey Gravy, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup cranberry sauce OR dried cranberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce (if using) in a large bowl, then pour 1/4 cup gravy over and toss together until everything is evenly coated.
- Season as necessary with salt and pepper.
- Roll out one sheet pie dough and cut out 4-5 circles of dough. Place 1/2-1 cup filling in center of dough, then bring one side of dough over to the other and crimp and seal edges.
- Transfer pasties to a large baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
- Place in oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot, topped with warm gravy.
Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen