While it’s hard to top the classics, we’ve gotta say, we like these butterscotch oatmeal cookies a whole lot. We’ll always have a special place in our hearts (and stomachs) for chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies, but there’s something about the toasted toffee flavor in these bad boys that we really love. It can be hard to make the jump to something new, but we guarantee you’ll go crazy for these…we know we did!
Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 3-4 dozen
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups butterscotch chips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and lightened in color. 3-4 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in eggs (waiting for each to be incorporated before adding the next) and then add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated and smooth.
- Fold in oats and butterscotch chips.
- Using a spoon, drop equal-sized dough balls onto baking sheets and place in oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove trays from oven and let cool 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Recipe adapted from Hershey’s