There’s something irresistible about sweet potato fries. And on the surface, you’d think choosing them over ordinary fries would be a major win for your health. Unfortunately, frying can destroy most of the nutritional value you’d otherwise get from those lovely orange veggies . It turns an otherwise perfectly respectable vegetable into something that’s more junk food than root.
We wanted to make sweet potato fries that weren’t only delicious, but weren’t loaded with fats. Deep-frying was out of the question. Instead, we decided to bake the sweet potato fries with only a few extra seasonings. The result was a somewhat sweet fry that could easily stand as a side or a snack on its own. The seasonings were subtle enough, however, that the fries could be covered with a condiment or sauce and still taste delicious.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
(makes 2 servings)
- 2lbs sweet potatoes cut into fry shapes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Mix together the coconut oil, honey, rosemary, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the sweet potato fries and toss to coat. Remove the sweet potato fries with a slotted spoon and arrange on a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- bake until tender (about 45 minutes). turn the oven up to 450F and bake until browned (about 15 minutes).
Recipe adapted fromDetoxinista