We love creamed corn and we especially love coming up with ways to breathe new life into it once we’ve had it three days in a row and still have leftovers. In that case, our favorite way to repurpose it is to whip up a batch of crispy, ham-filled corn fritters!
Here, we use our favorite creamed corn recipe, and with just a few additions, we’re ready to throw these little guys into the oil to make some seriously yummy fritters. The great thing about them is that the corn provides little, sweet pops of flavor, while the ham rounds things out and gives the fritters some heft, making them filling enough for breakfast or lunch to get you through to your next meal. Take our word for it, you’ll want to make some creamed corn and, once you’ve had your fill of it as a side dish, try out these fritters!
Corn And Ham Fritters
30min to prepare Serves 6-8
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup creamed corn (recipe here)
- 3/4 cup ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté shallot until softened and tender.
- Add ham and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour 1/4-inch canola oil into a heavy-bottomed pan or skillet over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering and sizzles when water is sprinkled into it.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and eggs together until combined, then stir in flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Mix in creamed corn, ham and shallot until incorporated.
- In batches, drop large spoonfuls of corn mixture into hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes (per side), or until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Group Recipes