Traditionally served in pie form, these surprise bars are a wonderfully nostalgic blast from the past! Can you guess just by looking at them what the surprise is? Golden raisins, a dash of nutmeg, and… cottage cheese! Yes, that’s right, these bars primarily consist of cottage cheese, eggs, and cream, blended with sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla. This is a recipe straight from grandma’s cookbook, and we love it in our house. Nothing says down home comfort like these surprise bars!
1 hr to prepare Serves 6-8
- 16 oz carton of cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350, and prepare a baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, mix cottage cheese, flour, sugar, lemon rind and juice, heavy cream, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, and raisins. Stir until well combined. (Note: If you want your bars to be extra creamy, you can put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, but we like the texture as is.)
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until set. When done baking, sprinkle with more nutmeg, and serve warm. You can also refrigerate and serve cold.
Recipe adapted from Shockingly Delicious.