Are you looking for a way to add a little summer flavor to your coffee cake? Look no further! We sprinkled in some strawberries and whipped in a layer of decadent cream cheese filling to spruce up the traditional coffee cake recipe. This would be the perfect treat to bring to a brunch with the ladies, or a fun Saturday morning surprise for the family! Be warned – if your family is anything like ours, this strawberry coffee cake won’t last long. You should probably make two, just to be safe.
Go ahead; try this new twist on an old favorite!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar, sprinkled on top
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan, then line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, mix together 1 cup sugar with butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Alternating between dry and wet ingredients, add in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry mix. Set batter aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 egg until creamy.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan, then top with cream cheese mixture, and spread into an even layer. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and press sliced strawberries on top. Return to oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from cake from oven and let cool at least 10-15 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from justataste.com