This simple Chinese soup is a combination of beaten eggs and chicken broth at its most basic level. We began to wonder, though, how can one add extra flavor to the dish without getting in the way of that smooth, silky texture just the basic dish imparts?
The trick, it turned out, was to infuse the soup with additional flavor like one might with tea. We added a cinnamon stick, then put some peppercorns, and a few other spices in a tea ball (a tea bag works just as well) and let those flavors infuse in the soup at a low simmer before before adding the egg. Because of the simplicity of this soup, it's best served as a light appetizer, but if you'd like to make it a meal, feel free to add chopped tofu or mushrooms. Keep reading below for this great recipe…
Our Favorite Egg Drop Soup
30min to prepare serves 6
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2" fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and chilled or room temperature chicken stock.
- Pour the stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Place the ginger and peppercorns in a tea ball or bag, then add to the broth along with the cinnamon stick, soy sauce, and white pepper. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the cinnamon stick and remove the tea bag, and taste the broth. Add salt or say sauce as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs with the remaining teaspoon of cornstarch. Stir the soup with a ladle. Rest a fork over the bowl, and press down on the back of the fork with your thumb while your fingers reach around to grip the bottom of the bowl. Tilt the bowl to pour the eggs slowly through the fork tines. Whisk the broth with your other hand as you pour.
- Let the soup stand for a few seconds to finish cooking the eggs. Stir in the sesame oil. Serve immediately. To garnish, top with sliced scallions.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven