More often than not, we’re hit by a serious craving for sweets at some point in the night and for those times when we don’t have anything readily available to devour, we turn to this 5-minute recipe. Mug cake.
While a lot of the ones we've tried have turned out kind of dense and dry, this one is different from all the rest: moist, buttery and absolutely delectable…if you haven’t tried it yet, please go do so now! You have all the ingredients in your pantry and you could be eating a steaming hot mug cake in the time it takes to make a cup of coffee!
We’re a lover of all cookies, but snickerdoodles are one of our favorite indulgences and the main inspiration for this mug cake. So, we chose our favorite mug – an homage to our slightly crazed furry friends (and which you can find here) – started mixing everything together and threw it all in the microwave! In under 5 minutes we were scarfing down a delicious snickerdoodle cake, so by our calculations, having nothing ready to eat worked out perfectly!!
Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
30min to prepare Yield: 2 cakes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Mix in milk and melted butter, then stir in vanilla extract and stir until batter is smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon together until combined.
- Begin scooping heaping tablespoons of batter into each (straight-sided) mug, alternately sprinkling cinnamon sugar mixture in between, making sure to end with the cinnamon sugar.
- One at a time, place mugs in microwave and cook for 1 minute and 10 seconds, or until cake is just cooked through.
- Remove from microwave and let cool 5 minutes before serving...and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Five Heart Home