Is there anything better than a campfire? Nope, didn’t think so. There’s something about huddling around the warm blaze, telling (scary) stories and chowing down on traditional camping treats that always makes us happy, so we thought we’d re-create that feeling with a dessert that’s perfect at any time, campfire or not. We give you: the s’mores cupcake.
We may have outdone ourselves this time – not to toot our own horn, but it’s true – these cupcakes are deliciously rich, with the perfect touch of marshmallow to balance things out, and graham cracker crumbs lovingly dusted on top. You get all the flavors you know and love, and you don’t even have to go to the trouble of building a fire…don’t mind if we do!
Yield: 20 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line 2 cupcake tins with 20 liners.
- Combine bittersweet chocolate and butter in a large, microwaveable bowl and microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Place in fridge for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- One at a time, beat eggs into slightly-cooled melted chocolate, then mix in vanilla extract and espresso granules.
- Alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake tins and sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon graham crackers crumbs on top of each one.
- Lightly press 3-4 mini marshmallows into the cupcakes and place in oven.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean and cupcakes feel springy.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes