You know, we thought about it and we don’t think we’ve ever met a chocolate confection we didn’t like. We love everything from elaborate cakes, souffles and mousses to even the most simple box-mix brownieyou just can’t go wrong! In this instance, we wanted the rich flavor of a cake without all the effort. That’s the beauty of this chocolate berry loafit’s super easy!
That’s right, you can throw all the ingredients together, mix em up and throw them in the oven, then all you have do it is melt some chocolate chips and call it a day! The result is a sinfully delicious loaf cake, smothered in a thick chocolate ganache, all topped off with fresh berries. Sounds like heaven to us!
Chocolate Berry Loaf Cake
Yields 1 loaf
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries (raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together flour, sugar, butter, cocoa powder, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract, coffee granules, baking soda and salt, then slowly pour in boiling water to create a rich batter.
- Fold chocolate chips into batter and pour into greased loaf pan.
- Scatter 2/3 cup mixed berries over the top of the batter and place in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Set up a double-boiler with a heatproof bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water and combine chocolate chips, heavy cream and vanilla extract in top bowl.
- Stir until completely melted and smooth, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool 15 minutes before removing to wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Optional: wrap loaf in plastic wrap and place in freezer to make slicing easier.
- Drizzle chocolate ganache over mostly cooled cake and scatter remaining berries over the top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Nigella